Transformation and Change Blog - March
Hello and welcome to the latest Transformation and Change Blog for March. We’ve had loads of projects and training this month so we’ll dive straight in.
What we’ve been up to
The Transformation and Change Team have been working on a system to help CWP ensure it understands applicable NICE guidance and to log where we are able to comply with that guidance. Over the last month improvements have been made to the triage and dissemination process. Though still in their PDSA cycles, the relevance of each newly issued piece of guidance is now matched with the appropriate Care Group, meaning that staff will only receive guidance which directly impacts on their work rather than receiving a summary of all new NICE releases, thus saving time going through NICE Guidance which doesn’t impact practice.
We are also trialling a new survey system through the Trust Intranet which will allow for accurate recording and reporting of our ability to comply with NICE Guidance.
These improvements will allow for a better flow of information through the Trust and to our commissioners.. Focusing on relevant areas and specialities should ensure effective and safe flow of information for all stakeholders and ultimately lead to a more effective recording system within CWP.
Improvement Readiness Training
Our Improvement Readiness training continues to offer a great introduction to QI in CWP, and this month we were delighted to offer this to our colleagues on the Manager’s Awareness Workshop. With great engagement and interest, this course offered the chance to develop knowledge and inspire ideas for QI projects to 16 current managers in the Trust.
If you’d like to get involved in one of our upcoming training events, get in touch by email for more information.
MH/PH SPA Integration
Work has started on integrating the Physical Health (PH) and Mental Health (MH) Single Point of Access (SPA). The Transformation and Change Team has been involved in this project from the outset and have worked with clinical colleagues to look at process mapping and eliminating waste as a way of ensuring optimal efficiency for all stakeholders. This project is likely to move quickly and further integration of the two areas will develop on the back of the work being done with the Single Point of Access.
By leading workshops, the team has been able to help diagnose current issues and plan a driver diagram to lead the project forward and are looking to set up a detailed action plan in early March.
Annual PH Checks for people with SMI
In line with new guidelines, people with Severe Mental Illness (SMI) are to be offered annual Physical Health (PH) checks to improve their overall outcomes. The Transformation and Change Team facilitated an event to look at improving the current health check process within SMI teams and develop a new process which will allow for standardised annual PH checks.
This work is very much in its infancy but the team looks forward to working on this project in more detail going forward.
MIAA Quality Improvement Network
On 12th April CWP will host the MIAA Quality Improvement Network at Sycamore House. This is a free event where you will be able to hear about some of the great work CWP has been doing in more detail and network with other healthcare agencies across the North West.
To book on follow the link below.
Where to find out more
There are loads of great resources that CWP staff can get their hands on. . Here’s our pick of the best resources available to you right now.
- Improvement Readiness – The Transformation and Change Team’s very own ½ day summary of improvement projects. You’ll get more detail on how to use the Model for Improvement, engage with stakeholders and sustain and spread your project. This can be booked on MyESR. For more information feel free to email the team
- Introduction to Improvement (i2i) – Building on the Improvement Readiness course, this 3 and a ½ day course allows you to bring a project idea and work through it throughout the duration of the course. With dedicated support, from peers and experts, this really is the perfect way to learn by doing. Don’t have a project yet? Don’t let that deter you, by the time we’ve talked about diagnosing problems/issues, you’re sure to have something we can work through with you. Email the Transformation and Change Team to book onto this course.
- CWP Q Network – Already completed the i2i and want a refresher? Come along to the next CWP Q Network event. We’ll have you on the distribution list, so look out for latest news about events in your inbox.
- #QI HUB – Available from the intranet and on Twitter, stay up to date with the latest Quality Improvement resources and news from within the Trust.
- Advancing Quality Alliance (AQuA) – As a member of CWP you have access to all the courses AQuA have to offer. With improvement priorities looking at delivering high quality care, supporting system transformation, delivering person centred care, and building capability for improvement there is something for everyone within health care. Join up on their website and you’ll get up-to-the-minute updates on what courses are available.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement – This website is packed with useful resources and news about improvements in the world of healthcare.
- Q Community (delivered by The Health Foundation) – Becoming a national Q Member can have massive benefits. Allowing for interaction between members, visits across the country and excellent e-learning packages, applying to become a member takes a bit of time but you’ll definitely reap the rewards.
Transformation and Change Team:
- Safieh Fraser – Transformation Manager
- Lauren Connah – Transformation Manager (on Maternity Leave)
- Beccy Cummings – Transformation Manager
- Mike Babbs – Project Manager
- Kyle Blackwood – Transformation Project Officer
Please also note that the Transformation and Change Team now have a new email so can now be contacted on cwp.transformation_and_change @nhs.net or by phone on the same number as always: 01244 397391